Saturday, February 25, 2006

FINDING NEMO

Having never taken a fancy to cartoons, I've never got around to really watching animation movies. The few that I've come across, I've never really liked (like Shark Tales)-- except one, Shrek. There was something about that movie that charmed-- the ugly-but-good ogre in love with the once-beautiful princess? Donkey? Puss-in-boots? Wicked Fairy? All of these put together? I don't know, but I loved Shrek, right from his stubby green ears to clumsy big feet.

Finding Nemo, which I've only just managed to watch, is one of the cutest movies I've ever come across. It actually had me excited when Nemo came close to escaping from the tank and had me grimace each time the screen went dark to depict that all was lost-- normally, in the insides of a creepy big whale/shark. I doubt I've ever displayed so much animation when watching a regular movie. Nemo's struggle to be treated as more than a kid, the once-bitten father unable to let go, the continuous battle to get out of the tank-- each had a charm of its own. The cutest were the turtle babies, which were "Like, so cool, dude!!!!!!!":D One of the funniest lines in the movie is when Dory and Marlin are lost, and she goes, "What is it with men and asking for directions?!"

I adored Nemo. With his huge eyes and I-want-to-explore attitude (which turned into an adorable I-want-Daddy one), it was the innocence that made me go "Awwww". Somebody once told me that it is easier to make a personality endearing if there are small flaws. Nemo had his little lucky fin, which whirred around at top speed to keep him steady. Dory had her short-term memory and an obsession for fish-languages. Marlin, an over-protective father, had his fear of the ocean. Deb, who thinks her reflecton is her sister and the vegetarian sharks, who lose focus of their objective when they smell blood. From start to finish, the characters have quirks and idiosyncrasies and I've loved the movie more because of the nutty flaws than despite them.

Arbitly wondering: Is it really the flaws in a person that make him endearing? If so, then why do we always look for perfection?

12 Comments:

Blogger A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 25, 2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger DSK said...

it works like this... u r weird, goofy, and sometimes gooey(sic). But that's exactly the ENTERTAINMENT value I so adore in you!!!

February 25, 2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger A said...

hehehehe i is liking zees comment!!!!!!

:)

February 25, 2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

Hmm... if they are endearing, they aren't "flaws" anymore, are they? they become quirks. You can be perfect even if your are quirky. It's just about finding cuteness even in the imperfections... it's all in the eyes of the holder... um, beholder.

February 25, 2006 2:44 PM  
Blogger m@n!@c said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 26, 2006 4:01 AM  
Blogger m@n!@c said...

Our quest for finding perfection is guided by our individual perception of a perfect situation. What you perceive as endearing quirks may seem annoying flaws to me. Some of us r lucky to find perfection, while others just alter their perception when they get weary of the search.

February 26, 2006 4:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

without wanting to comment on your seemingly arbit, but appears to be well thought statement ;)... you must watch Ice Age if you haven't already to fall in love with animation!

February 27, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

Check out "The Incredibles". really on par wit Nemo wit regards to story and animation.. must watch!

February 28, 2006 8:23 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 05, 2006 3:50 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

That Dory is somewhat like you anjali... Very very lost!!

How come you haven't mentioned apna Simba yaar... His eyes so remind me of my Gary poochie!!
:)

March 05, 2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

And if Arbitly is still wondering :
"Is it really the flaws in a person that make him endearing? If so, then why do we always look for perfection?"

Sweetie, the good things make you stick to the person.. but its the chhota-mota flaws that you usually connect to...

(Did that make sense ? )

:)

How do you think we bear with your laziness, Paddle-Wheel's Drama's, Baby-Doll's trance, Moti's absent-mindedness, Tru's Weirdo-giri..

( I can't think of any flaw in me - See, that's why I have 'passed the tests' with all moms )

:D hehehe

March 05, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger A said...

yes, i loved simba:) and now I love Stewie too-- though the two evoke totttally different emotions. Hmm, I'm building up quite a list-- now arbitly wondering whether I'll turn into an animation buff..

After an amazing weekend, I've returned to a room that's now silent.. only to realise how much I've missed times like Ganpatipule and Kolhapur.. and how much I miss a simple city called Thane.

March 06, 2006 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home