Wednesday, August 02, 2006

FIVE MINUS THREE

Four years ago, four girls stood at Sahar Airport to watch their fifth walk off. They crossed the road to stand staring over the parking lot, looking for privacy. The darkness hid tears. It felt like the end of an era.

A year later, on a fine sunny morning, each was surprised to jumping joy by a knock on their door and a smile that they hadn't seen in a long, long time..

Another year was up. Another goodbye was said. Five were reduced to four again.

Numbers were falling like skittles. A couple of months, another airport visit, another one down. One more to go, three to say goodbye, one to listen on the phone to the sounds of farewell.

Tonight. The number reduces to two. Another has promised to come back soon. We've seen that before, we've heard that before. We know what that means. It means there will be a month every two years where we will possibly see them. It means the intention to keep in touch is alive, but work and distance might take their toll. It means that the count will always be five, but the heads present will never add up.

It means, painfully, that life goes on.

17 Comments:

Blogger DSK said...

can't bring myself to say much... but between the sniffs and sobs, all I can muster is "awwwww"

August 02, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

you know what one of my deadliest nightmares is - the rest also flying away, leaving me alone here... I'l spend days wondering when I'l get to see atleast one of you next...

...And then there was one
:((

August 04, 2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 04, 2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: With friends so far, And multiple stupid woes-

I sniffle and I sulk.. and then go blow my nose.

I'm in a very very arbit mood :D

gunjan: I know you guys say I'm going to be the next one to go.. but for where I am right now, there already are none..

:((

*listening to "Country Roads.."*

August 05, 2006 4:33 AM  
Blogger DSK said...

Listen all you want. Just as long as you don't sing/whistle the tune!

August 05, 2006 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A - u write beautifully! sigh is all i have to say!

August 07, 2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: heyy, I whistle and I whistle well!!!! I'll show you-- you just come down to the place you belong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

tejuja: Thanks:):):)

August 07, 2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Abhishek Mrinmai said...

you really pour out all your emotions into the blog.... its certainly not arbidly arbit....Im thoroughly impressed...

August 23, 2006 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blog good woman! blog! i open this page so often only to be disappointed! BLOG!

August 24, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger A said...

chocolates..: thank you :)

tejuja: Will do.. as soon as I manage to get my boss off my back :(

The only thing I seem to be writing these days are reports on who bought what, why, when and where..

August 24, 2006 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u asked me to read ur blog long time back..well only after my new found interest after joining IMT have i done so
u write so well!!
waiting for ur next post

September 08, 2006 10:06 PM  
Blogger A said...

shublina Thanks:) next post coming right up!!

September 09, 2006 12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow anjie...lovely post...made me all nostalgic ...keep blogging..will help me survive hell :)..n keep in touch fer godsakes

October 30, 2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger A said...

vinay: Thanks.. will definitely do so:) need a lil bit of a breather from work!!

was good to see you in delhi :)

November 02, 2006 12:58 AM  
Blogger La Pensive said...

Very well written, A
Touching..
By the latest update, there's just one left now,rt?

August 17, 2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger A said...

nk: yep.. but that's one good anchor for the port back home :)

August 18, 2007 12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It means that the count will always be five, but the heads present will never add up."

HOW VERY TRUE, U JUST GAVE WORDS TO MY FEELINGS WAITED SINCE AGES TO FIND THE WORDS, JUST CUD NT HOLD MYSELF FROM COMMENTING

AX

January 14, 2008 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home