Thursday, March 16, 2006

"GUESS WHO-OO??!!"

An unknown number calls on a fine birthday night, and a deep voice at the other end says, "Many Happy Returns of the Day!! Guess who??" Ordinarily, I would have raised an interested eyebrow at the nice voice, but the 'Guess who-ing' put me off. I normally get snappish the minute anybody starts this, but I know I should be nice when people call up to wish.. With a timer ticking away inside my head, I play along, injecting a smiling note in my voice.

"Thank you sooo much.. Can you pleeease tell me who this is?"
"Go on, guess away"
"I've no idea really.. Is it X (arbit guy's name)?" [Tick tick]
"No... but who's X? Hmm hmm, some new guy on the scene, eh?"
"Umm.. no, nobody really. Seriously now, who is this?" [Tick tick tick]
"Nobody? Hmm.. but you want it to be him, na.. Something's cooking here!!"
"Nothing's cooking anywhere. (Voice turning cold) I think it is time you tell me who you are now. I'm kinda done guessing." [Tick tick TICK]
"No no, you've gotta guess.. Come on, give it another shot. You Know Me.."
"Really? (Face turning red) Oh, are you-- sorry, second call, will be right back!!" [Beep]

As I discovered much later, it turned out to be a friend's (boorish) friend, somebody I am no longer connected with.

It is even more difficult when relatives do it, because then there is no way one can afford to be considered rude. One does not want the family name to be sullied due to lack of control over temper. So even at weddings and marriage receptions, when asked, point blank, "Sooo, do you recognise me?", you politely nod agreement, all smiles. You hope he will not ask you to tell him who he is, whilst all the time racking your brains. You desperately cross fingers, hoping for a timely interruption. You dart a sneaking glance here and there, looking for help. Your eyes fall upon gleeful looking siblings, who have been through the same ordeal minutes before, escaping unscathed. You turn back, smile uncomfortably, and ask him how he has been doing.

He will, unfailingly, turn out to be the old neighbour-uncle who dandled you on his knee at your maternal grandfather's house when you were five.

Having a very bad memory for voices and and even worse one for faces, I've discovered that the only solution is to pray- for a second call or for Mom :)

18 Comments:

Blogger m@n!@c said...

Another option: admit to suffering from retrogade amnesia and then shamelessly ask them to identify themselves.

March 16, 2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

U can also start guessing shady names like Ramsevak Dayashankar Upadhayay ot better still Kanta maasi or something.. If that doesnt make him stop playing the guessing game.. God knows what will..:D

March 16, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

Guessing how Himesh reshammiya would paly that game.. "Gues who -o-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

five minutes later.. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. hehehe.. Man m in the mood for shady jokes today!

March 16, 2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger A said...

Maniac: Unfortunately, i think that particular telephone chap was a priceless boor who wouldn't get irritation if it walked up to him and smacked him in the face. As for the old uncles, smilingly sweetly and blushing is next on my agenda;) But yes, shall make a note of that:D

Ritesh: LOL:D

March 16, 2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

It's okay. They wouldn't be offended. I bet they think you suffer from perpetual partial-conciousness anyway :D ... thanks to the just-out-of-bed look you manage to have at most times of the day. You'll have to protect yourself once you reach the buffet though, it will probably wake you up.

Dee

March 16, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger A said...

Dee: just-out-of-bed? hehehe

And, unfortunately, my mom wakes me and shakes me before any such soiree.. which results in a wide eyed scary stare-- with a slight drool at the sight of the buffet table:D

March 16, 2006 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe... this was probably one of your better posts. I really loved reading through it. And oh... remember me??? Can't u figure out who I am by my writing style yet? Or should I whistle "Country Roads" for you? I used to be your neighbour once and you thoroughly loved me.

Guess who??? I'll give you clues if you want!!!

March 17, 2006 12:55 AM  
Blogger A said...

Anon: Really?? I'm telling you, I was a little bit of a homicidal maniac as a baby (with a Brit accent) and I was known to be a threat to all those I was thought to have loved. Oh yes, yes, I especially had a penchant for neighbourettes who sang/whistled John Denver songs out of tune.

Hm, may I now know your name? Or are you still going to think of a clue while I go doo doo?

March 17, 2006 4:56 AM  
Blogger A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 17, 2006 5:02 AM  
Blogger A said...

Sorry, Anon, Stewie Griffin hangover:)

And sorry again, for I shall have to kill you if you do not hit the right note on "Country roads"!!! Else, I shall make sure the whole campus knows about it and haunts you!!!! And don't you dare try leaving on a jet plane!!!

Bah, Pah and Gah!!

Anj.

P.S: :P

March 17, 2006 5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eureka!!! oh i just got it!!!

Why didn't I think of this earlier... I know how you'd end up hating songs that are on repeat mode. This means I'll repeatedly play John Denver and "leaving on a Jet Plane"... hopefully you'll hate it enough to stop humming/whistling/singing the songs.

ha HA!!! Mission Accomplished!!!

March 17, 2006 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homicidal Maniac as a baby?????
*Scratches head*
No wonder I am known to be slightly crazy. Probably you bashed me over the head once to often with a blunt instrument :)

March 17, 2006 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: Was very tempted to sign in as anon and say - "Guess Who", but the ticking clock made me change my mind...

that and the maniacal laughter...Bwahahahahhaahahahha

March 17, 2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger A said...

Anon: Since we now both know who you are and how much I wish to kill you, let's take it out in the open. Swords? Pistols? Or an I-pull-your-hair-you-pull-mine kinda catfight?

Aha, I shall kill you, but only post-21st. You shall die a slow death by getting thesis-ified. [the evil eyebrow has raises its head.. er, midriff actually- but without being vulgar..]

thefirstidiot: No excuses. Your madness is of monstrous proportions, and there is no way I shall shoulder the blame. Would have to hit you repeatedly with a much bigger tool (blunt instrument pah!) to generate that kinda dysfunction :) :P

I still maintain that I called the maniacal laughter first:P

March 18, 2006 12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A: Its all your fault!!!!! I have proof to back it up!!!! Bwahahahahahaahahahahha

March 18, 2006 12:53 AM  
Blogger A said...

thefirstidiot: I have evidence that is proof-er to back it up!!!!!

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAH
(in captials, so it counts for more:P)

March 18, 2006 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The evil EYEBROW raises it's head...". Just a little confused there A. Which one of the four are you talking about?

Oh wait, there's a fifth one too!!!

Until then,
Zinda Hoooooooooooooon.

March 18, 2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger A said...

Anon: You're back?! Btw, I notice that you read my blog with quite a bit o' attention.. so thank you!!!!!!!!!!:)

[Aha, I quite surreptitiously changed the tone of that one, didn't I?! Hehehahahaha!!!!!]

March 18, 2006 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home