Saturday, March 25, 2006

THE CHASE OF THE GLEEFUL LIZARD

A hostel exposes you to all sorts of things, right from the freedom of having your own tiny space to the ordeal of protecting it from the millions of creatures that choose, of all rooms, only yours.

I've got a little more than a week left in my cosy corner, and I've often congratulated myself for having managed to keep it lizard-free, even if not frog free [No, I do not live in the deep depths of a rain forest:)] I've killed moths, acid bugs and small roaches, but a lizard I can't kill. It is just too big. They also give me the feeling of forever wanting to jump me, which is not so very nice because I'm quite jumpy and they're quite icky.

There's a tiny chink in my door, and as I came back from a very happy evening, I saw a Head poking out. There were sirens in my head which went "Eeeeeeeeee!!!!" I did not want to open the door for fear of it either a) Falling on my head, or b) Scuttling away inside my room, never to be found again. I called desperately for help, and to my rescue came my brave anti-lizard squad.

Armed with two brooms, and after building a protective wall (consisting of a laptop bag, a laundry basket, a sweater, and a slipper) safeguarding the more decorated part of the room, we decided to go to war. One was positioned outside in order to watch and inform on the retreat of the enemy, and two were poised for action inside: one scared, one brave.

Dragging the cupboard in true manner of a scared rookie, I let out a shriek even though I didn't see it.. erm, got a lil caught in the moment.. Then I saw a beady eye gleam from around the corner. It smelt fear, glinted and hopped out onto the wall very friskily. I looked desperately towards Jo, who brandished the broom fearlessly and decided to swat it like a fly. It hopped a little more, and as I let out another squeal, turned and looked down at me jubilantly. Brave Jo then whacked the area around it, and it realised it had met its match. It grew wary, decided that it did not want to lose face, scuttled to the laptop bag, turned its still-attached tail and ran out of the door. We heard the victory squeal from Dee as she whacked the vent and shooed it to a galaxy far, far away.

My room was a mess but we were happy. My chamber is now lizard-free, thanks to those who are braver than I:) The chink in the door lies plastered with paper, and as I lie battle-weary, I know I shall shudder when I dream of the Glint of the Gleeful lizard.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of Star Wars - II - Attack of the (Lizard) clones?

March 25, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

The Sqaud is exhausted and disguted. Please do not permit Reptilia, Amphibia & Genitalia to enter your room.

If you cannot resist the call of the wild, we will:

1) Subject you to more gross Love Poems.
2) We will make you write these poems too, chickens be damned.

Or you could make it more interesting for us by allowing 2 creatures of different genders to enter. We will chase them out after the eggs are laid.

March 26, 2006 12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genitalia????
Ahem, so deepbluesea, can I interest you in revealing some more details?
*sotte voce* I need some blackmail material you see.

March 26, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger A said...

thefirstidiot: The rate at which they're making a go for me, I don't doubt it. And they've chosen the best place to begin-- a girls' hostel.

ritesh: Defenceless?! Far from it, I say!!! Have you never been Glinted at?!

That's appalling, I tell you :P

pishhi: Aah, Elizabeth Bennet.. not really a beauty, that one. Her thick, coarse, green skin quite makes my skin crawl..

March 26, 2006 6:45 AM  
Blogger A said...

deepbluesea: The Love Poems have driven me somewhat nutty (no pun intended:P) Chickens are, at this time, in heaven- in present wooly-headed condition, bird flu seems an attractive proposition :D

And I believe that the chicken came before the egg:)

thefirstidiot: I've got more than enough material on you hehe One slip and you'll turn to cold stone :P

March 26, 2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: My, my, somebody seems awfully offended:P Let me tell you, no amount of caring and consideration penetrates their thick skin!! So it really will be a mighty difficult task if you've taken it into your head to fall for Lizzy:D

And my conscience is clear-- there have been no reptilian murders in the sacred confines of this room, even though it has been very very tempting!!

March 27, 2006 8:09 PM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

thefirstidiot: Newfound vices... late night exploits... blackmail material (wrings hands evilly)... there's a LOT of it. If there isn't enough, it can be created appropriate evidence can be planted.

A: Watch out during convo... ;)

March 27, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger DSK said...

A post on Lizards... oh my good Lord!

However, I couldn't resist asking you this:

What would you rather prefer in your room - my LOVELY flower/leaf drawings or a lizard (a baby one even).

Btw, I still want my tiramisu.

March 28, 2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger DSK said...

hehehe... just remembered that your welcome message on your cell phone reads... Anjaliiii Chipkaliiii.

March 28, 2006 1:34 AM  
Blogger A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 28, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Sylvania Laxman said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 29, 2006 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh! i know all this only too well... ever wonder why i had the student manual rolled up and festooning my door... also lil bugs and fruit flies - stupid ones at that - got stuck to the adhesive tape... quite a sight it used to be! that is the one thing i will definitely not miss about this place!

March 29, 2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: Only one person is allowed to scribble on these walls.. and thats already been done:P

Also, YOU owe me a tiramsu:P

teju: aah, yes.. you've had lizards waiting to enter your room for ever and ever. Oh oh maybe you should have had a queue and coupon system-- cause they managed to enter anyway!! Hehe irrational bad joke mood is happening:D

March 30, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger daviejones said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 30, 2006 3:12 AM  
Blogger daviejones said...

i am only commenting because

a) some sidey people are forcing me to- people who believe in numbers and want their comment counter to keep ticking (and their are more 1 persons i am referring to !!)

b) i think the world should know that i am..ahem ahem.."brave Jo"

Devika (Jo)

March 30, 2006 3:14 AM  
Blogger silentword said...

given ur deep love for lizards and chocolates.... i hv a perfect gift for u..... i can get chocolates in the shape of lizard... so... wud u like to hv them??? ;)

April 02, 2006 5:02 AM  
Blogger A said...

Jo: the aim is not to keep the comment counter ticking.. the aim is to get you back to blogging!! Sadly enough, the masterplan seems to have flopped in a manner that makes me look highly unintelligent and the sort that haunts others for comments. Bah!! I shall now make it my life's objective to see that you blog again. Dee, we've got a task on our hands-- we have to prove ourselves free of comment-mania!!

silentword: Urgh. My love for chocolates takes a backseat when it comes to my hatred of lizards. Mention the combo again, and I might quite possibly give up chocolates forever!!

April 05, 2006 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home