Friday, April 28, 2006

YES SIR, YES SIR, THREE BAGS FULL

I'd always been a curly-haired kid, but as I grew older, my head began looking more and more like a beehive. It was called a brush, a mop, and a bird's nest, and was used as a pencil holder by the girls who sat behind me in school. Cut as short as possible, it would grow to two storeys high within a fortnight. It would never just sit on my head. I would manage to stuff a hairband somewhere in there for school discipline's sake, but it could never manage to go round the mop to reach my ears.

As years have passed and I've decided to try a long-haired look, it still remains unruly. I decided that all shampoos and conditioners were absolutely useless, and that I would have to do something drastic. I was, as informed by a friend, a "Hair Virgin". A weirdly funny term, this apparently means somebody who has not straightened, curled, streaked, coloured, or experimented in any other way. Mighty miffed at being categorized, I decided it was time.

Striding purposefully into the parlour, I asked for my hair to be straightened, and the lady stated her price. As I sat down on the seat and she got a got a good look at what she was in for, the mirror reflected her horror-struck face and eyes that bulged out of their sockets. She immediately upped and almost doubled her price.

I demanded to be told the reason, silently daring her to call my head the broom that it was. She muttered, "Kitna baal hai!!!" and rushed out to confer with the boss lady. I could hear her trying to pass the buck, and the boss came in trying to explain that it would take more than an hour and usage of lots of "electrick-city" to get the job done.

Amidst round-eyed stares and young beauticians sniggering in the background, the straightening was done in two hours flat. Each hair on my head had been examined. My scalp was checked to see how many strands came out of each pore. It was wondered whether they had ever seen hair this curly. It was then disdainfully stated that it had a rebellious mind of its own, where one side would spring back to its twisted self as soon as attention was paid to another.

I came away feeling like I'd been poked and prodded at under a microscope, but as I sashayed in front of the mirror I realised that I now had hair that would fall back down if lifted on my head, and not remain perpendicular to the ground.

I was a poodle no more. It was time for the silky-headed spaniel that knew how to Sit.

:)

30 Comments:

Blogger DSK said...

to think you could have got your hair straightened with your own straightner for FREE!!!

Not remembering to take it back is definitely the trait of an UNINTELLIGENT person!!!

heheeeeeeee sidey poooooo!!!!!

April 30, 2006 8:17 AM  
Blogger DeepBlueSea said...

Poooooo-dle. Is it back to its normal self yet? :P

You could try gene splicing for permanent straight hair. It could be more affordable.

And I am going crazy :P

April 30, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger A said...

tejuja: Aah, remember BitchCom??

And :)

dsk: Any possible way to send it here?? Anybody coming to Bbay??

Or else, will pick it up in two months time..

And you'd better tell your mom I'm as sharp as the rest of the clan!!!! Bah!!!

Dee: Almost back to normal. The devil of it is that it starts going curly from the most obvious places.. the front!!!!!! It now looks like the fake wigs that the extras in sidey Hindi movie dance numbers attach to their heads.

I blame it all on inheritance.

May 01, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

I can understand ur pain.. m thinkin of starting a community on Orkut.. Incontrollable hair.. hairthat has a mind of tis own.. :d

May 01, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: I hope somebody pops their nose in and give tips. And no egg on hair, please. That's is like the uggh-est thing ever.

:D

May 01, 2006 12:35 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

i just pray that on important days my hair is not stuck in the weirdest of poses..:d.. standing straight or somehting...

May 01, 2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: Murphy's Law. It is imperative that every interview has to coincide with a Bad Hair Day.

Such is Life.

Pah!!!

May 02, 2006 1:12 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

yaaa.. or photo taking days.. passport photographs generally..

May 02, 2006 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the blog :)
n hey i love you hair, they look great if only you'd let em out of that rubber band.
do we get to see a pic of the new you? :D

Love
Sonal

May 03, 2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: Just sent in a passport-sized photograph to work.. one where I look like a dacoit.

And it is not just the hair.

*sigh*

Sonal: Thanks:):)

It is now back to its crazy self. And now that it strikes, a photograph should have been taken.. Damn & Blast!!!

May 04, 2006 1:55 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

heheh.. Dacoit who uses her supersonic pitch to shatter lockboxes and loot the money.. :D.. kidding.. hehehhe

May 04, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: Mean, mean fellow!!

:D

May 06, 2006 3:17 AM  
Blogger ~G said...

@A: It still looks just the same!!!! Remember you actually called me up after to say "Hey I got my hair straightened. Terko samjha nahi kya ?? "
That itself explains it !!

I shall not let you lie on your blog... Tell everyone it isn't looking any different..

And about the photos.. lets not talk about it ... be it a casual pic taken at some random slumber party or the one taken at Deep-anna's wedding ... They look the same... Hideous ( not the capital H )

:P

May 06, 2006 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...it looked straightened (even if I noticed it late :))

May 06, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger daviejones said...

u forgot to mention the sai baba or hariharan look!! hehe

May 07, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger the One said...

Ah. One has the same sort of hair, you know. Reminiscent of raw Maggi and cotton candy. Very unruly. One tried to grow it long once, but got a crew cut after it became apparent that the time saved by not having to comb it in the morning could be better utilized sleeping.

May 07, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger A said...

gunjan: Bah!!! Just wait till you ask me whether your hair looks okay.. I shall Hum and Haw and look analytically at you. With my brow knitted in concentration, I shall then refuse to make the expected declaration.

Pink lipstick or not!!

aditi: Thank you!!! Thou art my saviour :)

daviejones: Good to see you back :) And yes, we shall consider this an Honorary mention ;)

the one: The sight of many bald heads on campus at one point in time did make The Eyebrow vanish thoughtfully into the tuft above. I do, indeed, acknowledge the importance of prioritizing sleep over well-fashioned hair.

May 07, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

@A: Do you really think I expect an answer when I ask if my hair is looking good. Its rhetorical. even if someone replies in the negative I know it is because of sheer jealousy and that my hair is looking just awesome!!
And any amount of cursing my hair is not making it bad okay !!!

May 07, 2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 07, 2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

Reminding you to comment on my blog.. Forgot the deal kya ?

May 07, 2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger DSK said...

Sleep over style??? GET A LIFE!

May 08, 2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger A said...

gunjan: Remember NMMT rides which made hair behave somewhat funny??? You expected me to say it looked good even then!!! :P and I still think the pink lipstick was funnnnnneeeeee!!!!!

And yes, I shall uphold my part of the deal faithfully from now on :)

dsk: C'monnnn.. don't you think it is more fun sleeping for those extra 15 minutes than agonizing over which blue stripes to wear for the day?!

May 09, 2006 1:14 AM  
Blogger DSK said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 11, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger DSK said...

Just trying to remember... Was there a reason we called u "Ha_ry Potter"??? heheheheeeeeeee.

And yes, considering your sense of style (which decides between blue horizontal stripes and pale green hole wallah shirt), I do think you are better off sleeping.

May 11, 2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger ~G said...

@A: And yaa, Aditi has a very obvious purpose behing taking your side.
Next time her N-thousand worth straightened hair begins curling, you HAVE to overcome the uncontrollable urge to criticise or mock at it, still better prasie it !!
Imagine how difficult it will be for you!!!!!!


@Aditi: Why are you defending her .. and her HAIR of all things !!!!!

For both of u :
"Don't mess too much with your hair or by the time you're 40 it will look 85."

Heard this somewhere ?? :P

May 11, 2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger trupeasy said...

i was actually surprised(might i say shocked!)... with straight hair? wow! though i must admit i cant really imagine you that way....will check out in 3 days time!

May 11, 2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: Hmm... is there a reason why you call me all the names you do??? Yes, there is. I'm sorry, but you're a bit off your rocker!!!

:D

gunjan: LOL you got the wrong aditi!!!!

trupeasy: Nah, that job was just a temp one.. but when I get my first sal... yeaaaa!!!

May 12, 2006 12:17 AM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

Comment NO. 29

May 14, 2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger Ritesh said...

Comment NO. 30.. m just tired of waiting for new posts.. so i ma fulfilling my duty by incessant commenting on the same post.. :D

May 14, 2006 1:15 PM  
Blogger A said...

ritesh: Been faaaar too busy the past couple of weeks..

New post coming right up!! I shall expect you to do your duty diligently.

Now, At Ease!!!

May 16, 2006 3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home