Friday, October 24, 2008

A 4 AM ZOMBIE

A few days of working 14-20 hours a day, and I'm physically and mentally zapped. Right now, I have the sense of humor of a dead doorpost and the IQ of a teaspoon. The feeling of complete exhaustion has hit me so hard that I can't sleep. At first, I killed time by filling bottles with water. Now, since I can't stand up any longer, I'm catching up with my life, trying to type fast with only one live hand.

While I spent 7 hours one night cluelessly editing an AV on Movie Maker for an arbit presentation, I've stood and stared all day at the mounting of an extremely rare signage on a construction site in the Ahmedabad heat on another day. Having learnt tonnes, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.. but I've also realised that the enthusiasm to learn can take one to freakish extremes of zombie-ness.

I also ended up discovering a few places and things to do which are very relaxing when one is completely stressed out.

  • At the top of the new office building: The terrace overlooks a few pieces of farmland.. very green, with lazy buffaloes with swishing tails. [While "Bhains ki poonch!" is a commonly used term at my workplace to exemplify the ridiculous, we now actually get to see the Bhainses and their Poonches :) ]. A place that soothing in the 4pm sun would be heaven whilst having to burn the midnight oil.
  • On the pot, at home: Saying that, I sound very unladylike, and more and more like my father.
  • Filling up water and folding clothes: I know somebody who finds extreme relaxation in brainless chores like separating onions and potatoes, socks and hankies. Today, I understand. I spent a good 15 minutes staring longingly at construction workers who were mindlessly breaking tiles. I also wondered if they envied the arbit girl who appeared to be doing nothing but standing around asking nosy questions about why there were so many freakin' wires with loose ends if the LEDs were connected in series.
  • Going on and on on one's blog: Is fun :)

I know and can foresee things that I shall get into deep shit about after Diwali, I have no time to deal with those now. I shall have more 20 hour days, more exhaustion and zero credit for successes, but I'm still climbing up the learning curve.. I'm a freckled zombie with the IQ of a teaspoon, but I'm a happy zombie:)

3 Comments:

Blogger Bhavs said...

Being brain dead is god's way of saying......stopppp!!!!!... time to come here and shop :) .... oh BTW i picked up "shiny red sandals" in bangkok...remembered you so much !

October 24, 2008 11:07 AM  
Blogger Shaunak Sastry said...

call it coincidence or something else, I caught myself staring at two construction workers today and envying the simplicity and rhythm of their wor! Funny!

October 25, 2008 2:25 PM  
Blogger A said...

bhavs: I'm glad my influence has wreaked at least so much havoc :P

shaunak: Was watching a pigeon on the ledge outside my window-- it was fat, squat and blissfully asleep at 3 pm. I'm SO jealous.

November 05, 2008 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home