Tuesday, November 21, 2006

FREE, FREAK, FREAKED!

Stage I: School days, where I was caught dreaming away to glory ever so often by my Biology teacher. I loved looking at plants outside the window; she didn't get that I didn't care that it was Nephrolepis and possessed sporangia. Most teachers chose to ignore me, the tiny scrawny kid with the huge head of hair. I didn't mind the anonymity, I was scared of the spotlight anyway. From the one time I was pushed onto stage to act the role of "Mr. Blockhead" (yes, yes, very much to my misery) to the rare presentation on The Old Squire, I mostly managed to wriggle out of anything that brought me within view of the public eye.
Stage II: The third bench from the back and staring blankly at a board with z=x+iy scrawled all over it. Utter boredom and no comprehension whatsoever.. Complex numbers, the bane of my existence. I found some respite in the fact that at least nobody pulled me up for dreaming here.. but then came Communication Skills. My phone bill said I should be good at it.. but then that was the result of talking to just one at a time, unlike my final CS presentation. I'd stood holding, in sweaty cold hands, a half-damp piece of paper with 50 lines on it. I'd spent the last six hours reading it over and over again, committing every syllable to memory. When I did start speaking, I was ghostly white and stammering. What clinched the entire stage show was the wide eyed stare that went around the classroom for a good three minutes after a draft blew the paper from my hand.
Stage III: Five years and an MBA later, the wide-eyed stare is, now, apparently not Scared, but Scary. Or so Some say:P I still prepare for a good three hours before a 20 minute presentation, so when I was told I would have to train a group of sales guys with role-playing and self-discovery sessions included, I was all ready to squeeze myself out of the restroom window. I was to teach the Art of Selling without having sold a thing in my life. I was to solve problems I didn't even know existed.
After walking in circles the entire night with a ten page long Word doc, it was time to face one of my biggest fears- carrying on an interactive session with 15 people who faced the realities of life and rejection in the field every single day.. for three whole hours. I didn't start with a bang or close with one, but I managed to get through the morning with some amount of grace and dignity.
A mountain out of a molehill? Maybe. But it also helped that only half the intended number turned up :)

7 Comments:

Blogger DSK said...

Ha ha... I'm an ardent fan of the "Fear Factor" series, and each time I tell myself "Hah! I could have done that."

But, things that scare the hell out of me (this is NOT in random order mind you)...
- Needles/Syringes
- AIDS
- Sentences that begin with "Just to put things into perspective..."
- Having to listen to those sentences a 100 times (or more)

November 21, 2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: Really don't expect Fear Factor to freak you.. I'm sure you'd love to have those creepy sakes walk all over you! Freak! :P

Question: Could there be a nightmare worse than "Zinda Hooooooonnn.." being played over and over in the room next door with walls as thin as paper?!

Boo!

November 21, 2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger DSK said...

Hmmm, here's food for thought. What's worse?

- "Zinda Hooooon", by Strings (quite nice to listen to), played on repeat mode, or
- "I am leeeeaaviing on a jet plane, Do not know when I will be back again", NOT by John Denver, or
- "Country Roads, take me home, to the place" (sung half decently), and then, "I beeeelooong..." (sung in the most horrific way ever.

November 22, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger A said...

dsk: When you've got three things to compare, you should ask, "What's the worst??"

See, this is what happens when you set out to teach!!

Oh, and the answer to your question is "Zinda Hoooooooooooooon"!!!!!!!

Bwahahahaha

November 22, 2006 11:32 PM  
Blogger the One said...

Well, at least your hands don't tremble. One has unpleasant memories of getting up to read in class - the textbook's pages would flutter like things possessed.

December 08, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger A said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 10, 2006 2:57 AM  
Blogger A said...

the one: Hmm, One should consider the possibility of a hex or a curse.

After all, Voldemort has come back to power..

December 10, 2006 2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home